Thursday, October 8, 2009

It wasn't John Stockton, but definitely the next best thing.

I know I already blogged about our trip to Oklahoma, but I thought this deserved it's own post. While we were at the airport we ran into Jeff Hornacek. It is definately in my top 5 coolest things to ever happen to me list. I walked up to the seats that Troy and my family had chosen to sit in and immediately spotted him no more than 10 feet away from us. He was sitting alone reading the newspaper with no one even staring at him star struck like I was. I debated whether or not to talk to him because I did not want to bother him, but I convinced myself that maybe he has been retired long enough that it would just be an ego boost for him. So I got up the nerve and walked over. I dont remember exactly what was said, but I know it consisted of me telling him how big of a fan I was when he played, that my baby's name was Stockton, and him laughing, probably thinking what a crazy person I was for naming my son Stockton. He was so nice, in fact, I think nice is probably an understatement. Stockton was being a little stinker and wasnt cooperating for the picture, so he played with him and tried to make him happy. In hindsight I wish I would have talked to him more because I know he wouldnt have minded. I was just so nervous and I really didnt want to bother him. But if I ever get the chance again, I will tell him that he was one of the best 3 point shooters in the league, that I loved the way he would wipe his face when he would shoot free throws to say hi to his kids, and that players like him and Stockton are a dying a breed and that I was lucky to grow up having them as role models and teachers of the true game of basketball.

I can't look at these pictures without just smiling from ear to ear. If I didnt know any different, I would think we were just a happy little family sitting at the airport waiting to catch a plane.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

This is seriously so cool! I'm so proud of you for talking to him. I don't think I would have had the guts. Good Job! It looks like you had a great time in Oklahoma - so fun! :)

Dana Marie said...

The bottom pic of Stockton is cute cute cute! In response to my post, it's never too late for a gift lol! No rush on it

Jordan said...

How cool! The pictures are so great!

Pete said...

I have a feeling that the introduction to the conversation went something like this:
" Hi fan you're my biggest Jeff, I mean Jeff your my biggest fan, I mean your Jeff... I am Arin and John was a good player so I named my son after him...but your good to I just didn't want to name my son Horny ummm I mean....can I have a picture with you?"

Just kidding what a great opportunity to meet such a nice guy.