Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The End of an Era

I really can't believe it, but Stockton is growing up.  He may not be getting any bigger, but he is changing. And the more I realize it the sadder and sadder I get.  He is talking up a storm, picking up new words everyday and learning how to form 3-4 word sentences.  The most significant of these new words is "Tay" (Okay).  It first started when I would ask if he was OK and he would say "Tay", which has since turned into "I tay" (I'm Okay).  Then he started to use it to acknowledge something I say like, "Stockton, I am going to take a shower, I will be in the bathroom if you need me, OK?"  To which he would respond, "Tay".  And now for the development that makes me sad: he says "Tay" when he means "Yes".  For anyone who knows Stockton very well, knows about his "Yes" chuckle.  He has never actually spoken the word "yes".  Instead he would always just...I dont even know how to describe it other than a chuckle.  The replacement of this chuckle with the word "Tay" is for some reason very hard for me to accept.  Its almost like it means I am saying goodbye to Stockton the baby and hello to Stockton the little boy.  Or maybe I have already done that, his chuckle was just the last thing I was holding on to.  Either way, it makes this Mommy very sad.

His other most noteworthy new phrase is "No Way".  Everything the last couple days has been, "No Way."
  Stockton, let's get dressed.  No Way.
Stockton, are you ready for your nap?  No Way.
Stockton, let's bless the food.  No Way.
Stockton, do you want to take a bath?  No Way.
I am sure I will get tired of this one, but for now it's just cute.  And speaking of cute, his trademark phrase for the last month or so still makes my heart smile everytime I hear it, "Dee-Doo, Mommy."  (Thank you, Mommy)  EVERYTHING I do for him is followed up with a "Dee-Doo, Mommy".  Even when I put him in his bed, I get the sweetest "Dee-Doo, Mommy" you will ever hear.  I like to tell myself that is his way of saying, I Love You.  Even if its not, that's the message I get.  

2 comments:

katwalk said...

I love all his new words. everytime I see him my minds goes back to the sweetest baby girl a person could ever have..I still remember you always hanging on my leg trying to climb it at all times.but as sad as it was at about his age was when i had my wreck i still remember the pain of holding you with your big ole head banging my broken chest but the love I got was worth the pain I indured

Sarah said...

What a sweet comment from your mom. I love this post. And I think you have the only picture that was taken at Justin's 30th birthday. I suck!