Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Name Dilemma

So, this whole name thing has really been eating at me lately. My 2 names that I have really always wanted to use for a boy have been: And


Stockton, of course, comes from my longtime admiration of John Stockton, THE best point guard to ever live. And Wyatt after my grandpa who I miss and loved dearly. He had 3 daughters and did not get to pass his last name of Wyatt down to a son. So when we started thinking about names, we thought we would name the baby Wyatt Ivan after both of our grandpas, but then in fear of not having a second boy to name Stockton, we decided the name Stockton Wyatt would be a safe choice because that guaranteed I would get to use both names if we ended up only having girls after this. So, Stockton Wyatt has been our chosen name for most of my pregnancy. However, in the back of mind I havent been able to shake the desire to use Wyatt as a first name. I just love it and it would mean more to me to have a little boy named Wyatt instead of just a middle name. Come on, wouldnt having 2 brothers named Stockton and Wyatt just be the coolest, cutest names of all time??? The problem is, although the name Stockton has alot of sentimental value to me, the name Wyatt does mean more to me, BUT this baby is already Stockton to me. And to think of him as Wyatt, as much as the name means to me, it just doesnt seem right for this baby. So, the question is:


1. Do we take to risk of having another boy and naming this one Stockton and the next one Wyatt and having 2 brothers with the ultimate names?


OR


2. Do we play it safe and name this baby Stockton Wyatt since it may be our only boy?


Or, of course, there is the 3rd option:


3. Do we change this baby's name from Stockton to Wyatt even though it doesn't seem right in my mind because he is already Stockton to me & Troy and then hope to have another boy in the future to name Stockton?


Maybe I am just being a weirdo freak about this whole thing, but this has always been important to me and I want all of our kids to have names that mean something and that they can be proud of. So, let me know what you would do. And, of course, feel free to just laugh at me and tell me I am over analyzing things way too much. I won't mind, over analyzing is just something that I do. :)


Side note: I'm sure alot of you who dont know me very well are thinking this is a no brainer, name the baby after your family because that is obviously way more important and sentimental than naming him after an NBA point guard, but, of course, those of you who do know me well, will understand the magnitude of the situation. And will agree that, yes, this actually is a major dilemma for me, right guys?

7 comments:

Ty and Holly said...

Names are really hard. I know baby Jeffs as Stockton now too, however, I'm sure you guys will have another boy. And Stockton Wyatt is really cute. It's a tough call.

Rebekah said...

Don't you mean "Stockton Wyatt JEFFS"?

Ha ha - just kidding.

If I know you like I think I know you, no matter what people say, you're going to obsess and worry about this until the little guy pops out. So take comfort in the fact that 1)this obsession is inevitable because it's just the way you are and 2) both the names you've picked are great names and mean something to you and Troy. So basically, which ever way you go, he'll still have an awesome name. :)

I know this doesn't help much, because, like I said before, you're going to worry about it no matter what happens.

Loves!

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

Major dilemma. Name this baby Stockton. Name your second son Wyatt. You know you will have another boy. Plus if you save the "better" name for the second or 3rd child that would be cool since they always get the short end of the stick with everything. There problem solved. Now stop stressing about it. Oh but what about new middle names....

Taz, Katie, Lia and Presley said...

Names are really so hard. We have had two boy names like forever... and look at us with two girls!!! Good luck making the decision!!

Dana Marie said...

Not that I really understand the pressure of naming kids, but here's how I'd look at it.

In kindergarten how hard will it be for them to learn their name. Matthew was really hard, hence I'm Dana.

The other thing, I'm sure that when he gets out and you get to look him in the little face for the first time he'll look like one or the other. Really, there's no need to worry about the name until that day anyway!

Good luck!

Ganny said...

Whatever name you choose will be fine. Love ganny

aliandsander said...

I agree with what someone else said- you'll obsess about it no matter what. But for the record, I was SURE that Will was a girl when he was in my tummy, and I called him Lydia until I found out I was having a boy. You can move on from that, I promise. Also, no need to make up the mind until he comes...I think you'll know when you see him.